Do you enjoy bagels? We sure do in my house! Fresh, warm and chewy, topped with cheddar and bacon, these homemade Cheddar Bacon Bagels are easy to make and absolutely delicious!
I absolutely love, love, love bagels. Bagels in all forms – savory bagels, sweet bagels. I’ll eat a bagel for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Always with cream cheese. Mostly toasted, sometimes untoasted. As you can see, I’m not very picky. I’ve made several types of bagels in the past, like Blueberry, Carrot Cake and Everything bagels. I developed this recipe based on my love for the asiago cheese bagels from Panera Bread.
Three words, bacon, cheese and bagel. Need I say more! These bagels have the lovely exterior firmness of a bagel with an added bonus of a fluffy almost biscuit-like texture inside. The addition of finely chopped turkey bacon and shredded cheddar cheese give this variety of bagel such wonderful flavor. Cheddar cheese and bacon are one of those savory matches made in heaven. Any shredded cheese will work. I like cheddar, but a more flavor neutral asiago cheese blend would also work well too. If you like your bagels extra cheesy, don’t forget to sprinkle some extra on top along with more bacon!
You may be thinking that homemade bagels would be hard or way too time consuming. By using an air fryer, these Cheddar Bacon Bagels were ready in under 30 minutes. I’ve also included oven instructions in the recipe notes for those who prefer a baking option.
These are great toasted with butter or a bagel’s best friend, cream cheese! My spread of choice was the Garlic & Herb cream cheese from Melanie’s Medleys; which just happens to be the perfect pairing for this savory style bagel.
And there you go. Easy recipe to throw together on a Sunday for the week’s breakfasts. If you haven’t ventured into homemade bagel making yet, I highly recommend giving it a try. Once you get started, you won’t be able to stop thinking of all the possible varieties. I think next up for me may be chocolate chip bagels. Stay tuned and enjoy the recipe!
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour( I used Jessica's Natural All Purpose Gluten Free Flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 8 oz Fage nonfat greek yogurt(Can substitute with any thick greek style plain yogurt)
- 3 slices turkey bacon, cooked and finely chopped(reserve one piece for the topping)
- ¼ cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese plus 2-3 TBS for topping
- Egg White mixture:
- 1 egg white
- 2 tsp water
- Preheat the air fryer to 330 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine the flour and the baking powder.
- In a medium bowl stir together the Greek yogurt, bacon and cheese.
- Fold the flour mixture into the yogurt mixture until all the ingredients are combined.
- Transfer the dough on to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough several times, folding the sides in several times, until it is no longer sticky
- Cut the dough into four pieces and roll each piece into an 8-inch-long rope
- Bring the two ends of each dough rope together to make a circle and pinch them together.
- You can sprinkle extra cheese or bacon on top of bagels for a caramelized cheese crunch.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg white and water.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the egg white/water mixture on top of the bagels.
- Add bagels two at at time to the air fryer and bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove and repeat process for remaining bagels.
- Allow to cool on a baking rack or enjoy while warm.
- Baking Instructions:
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- Place all four bagels on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- Store the cooled bagels in an airtight container or freeze the bagels in a single layer for up to 3 months.