There is nothing quite like the aroma of fresh baked bagels out of the oven or in this case an air fryer. Say hello to these homemade Air Fryer Blueberry Bagels. Have you ever tried making your own bagels? If you have, kudos to you! Most bagel recipes can take two days to make(with an overnight resting period) and include overwhelming instructions. These have four simple ingredients, can be made ahead or the same day. Either way, in less than 30 minutes, you will be enjoying blueberry bagels for breakfast.
Making your own bagels is much easier than you think. These Everything Bagels were my first attempt and from there I was hooked. The recipe is the same as the Air Fryer Chocolate Cake Donuts but adapted ever so slightly to make these breakfast style bagels.
These have a much different texture than your typical bakery shop bagel. So if you’re expecting a New York style chewy bagel, you might be dissapointed. These are softer, almost cake like, yet still very flavorful and bursting with blueberry in each bite.
I used fresh blueberries but recommend going with dried if they are available to you. While kneading the dough, I noticed the blueberries burst a bit, so your dough may turn a pretty shade of purple. This just adds to the beauty of your bagel. No worries if your bagel forming skills aren’t up to par yet. They don’t have to be perfectly round or shaped. Mine actually turned out looking sort of rustic. And don’t forget to add a quick brush of egg white which helps give the baked bagels that beautiful golden sheen.
This time, I included directions for both an air fryer and oven since both methods will work beautifully. In about 25 minutes, you’re left with some beautiful blueberry bagels just begging to be slathered with cream cheese or butter and devoured. Just look at all those berries! Aren’t they pretty? It’s homemade bagel time. You should join in. Enjoy.
No need to stand in line at the bakery. Homemade is the only way to do blueberry bagels!
- 1 cup all purpose flour( I used Jessica's All Natural all-purpose flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 3-4 packets sweetener
- 1 cup Fage Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup fresh blueberries(dried would be best)
- 1 egg white
- 2 tsp. water
- Preheat the air fryer to 330 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sweetener.
- In a medium bowl stir together the Greek yogurt and blueberries.
- Fold the flour mixture into the yogurt mixture until all the ingredients are combined
- Transfer the dough on to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough several times, folding the sides in several times, until it is no longer sticky
- Cut the dough into four pieces and roll each piece into an 8-inch-long rope
- Bring the two ends of each dough rope together to make a circle and pinch them together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg white and water.
- Brush each bagel with the egg white-water mixture.
- Add bagels two at at time to the air fryer and bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove and repeat process for remaining bagels.
- Allow to cool on a baking rack or enjoy while warm.
- Baking Instructions:
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- Place all four bagels on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- Store the cooled bagels in an airtight container or bag for up to 7 days. Or, freeze the bagels in a single layer for up to 3 months.