You shouldn’t have to give up flavor and comfort when you’re trying to eat healthier – that’s where these Chicken and Sweet Potato Enchiladas come in! Packed full of flavor, nutrients and protein, you won’t want to miss out on these!
These Chicken and Sweet Potato Enchiladas are perfect for those nights you’re craving some good ole’ delicious Mexican food. Stuffed with chicken, black beans, a lite Mexican cheese blend and lots of flavor, these are a much healthier take on your typical enchilada.
By now, I’m sure you’re wondering where the sweet potato part comes in. I used BFree Sweet Potato Wraps in place of traditional flour tortillas. I found these gems a few months ago at my local Publix in their bakery department. BFree sweet potato wraps are free from wheat, egg, soy, dairy, are certified gluten free and made with sweet potato flour. I personally do not follow a gluten free diet however, these sounded too good to pass up on trying. This recipe also gave me an opportunity to try my Glean Sweet Potato Flour in a more savory dish. I think that the sweet potato flour blends in beautifully(trust me, you don’t even know it’s in there!) with all of the wonderful flavors of these enchiladas.
One of the things I love the most about this meal (besides the fact that it’s Mexican food!), is that you can make the entire meal in advance and reheat them as needed. This recipe took less than 15 minutes to assemble and was on the dinner table in just 20 minutes. I love to serve mine with some sour cream, extra cheese (of course) and fresh avocado. Enjoy the recipe!
Chicken and Sweet Potato Enchiladas are a healthy and delicious way to enjoy Mexican night!
- 3 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 6 oz can chopped green chilies
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 1 TBS Glean Sweet Potato Flour(optional)
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 TBS fresh lime juice
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 BFree Sweet Potato wraps (can substitute with your favorite wrap of choice)
- Garnish: cilantro, sour cream, avocado
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread ½ cup red enchilada sauce on the bottom of the prepared baking dish; set aside until your ready to place enchiladas.
- Add shredded chicken, black beans and chilies to a large bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Add 1 cup of the red enchilada sauce, sweet potato flour, lime juice and chopped cilantro.
- Stir well; season with salt and pepper.
- Scoop ¼ - ⅓ cup chicken mixture into the center of a tortilla. Sprinkle with some cheese. Press the
- sides in, then roll the tortilla closed. (I like my enchiladas on the bigger side, so I roll in the sides. It will kind of look like a burrito.)
- Place the enchilada seam-side down in the prepared baking dish.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Pour remaining red enchilada sauce over the top of the enchiladas.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Cool slightly before serving.
- Add desired toppings and enjoy!
If you try the recipe, be sure to tag me on on Instagram by using #moorewaystowellnessrecipes !