Chocolate Peppermint Mocha Donuts make a decadent breakfast or delicious afternoon treat. These moist, cake like donuts are packed with rich cocoa, subtle coffee flavor and a hint of peppermint. Finished off with a peppermint mocha glaze and crushed candy canes. Perfect for getting you into the holiday spirit!
The peppermint craze has officially begun in our home. I picked up a pack of candy canes last week and it started a string of peppermint baked goods. I forget how much I enjoy the combination of peppermint and chocolate until the holidays roll around. From peppermint ice cream to cookies and truffles, nothing is off limits. Up until now breakfast had been the one meal that had been safe from my peppermint addiction. This weekend that all changed with these Chocolate Peppermint Mocha Donuts. It doesn’t get much better than a chocolate donut dipped in a sweet peppermint mocha glaze with peppermint candy for breakfast!
Taking inspiration from my favorite holiday beverage from Starbucks, these rich peppermint mocha donuts are sweet yet offset by the peppermint flavor. And the combination of chocolate, coffee and peppermint is incredible!
These Chocolate Peppermint Mocha Donuts are your favorite Christmas coffee in delicious donut form!
The ingredients for this basic chocolate donut recipe are simple, but the flavors are bold, rich, and absolutely delicious. There is one standout ingredient that make these donuts out of this world good: nutpods Peppermint Mocha Creamer. Pumpkin Spice was my top flavor contender of the nutpod family but this peppermint mocha is perfection! There is just enough chocolate and peppermint flavor, not too overpowering, and completely satisfying. I’m totally hooked and my fridge is now fully stocked of this seasonal flavor.
If you’ve not tried coffee creamer in a recipe before, it’s a game changer. In this recipe, the creamer was a key ingredient in both the batter and glaze to give the donuts that signature peppermint mocha flavor.
Not only do these doughnuts taste like Christmas – but the crushed candy canes make them look extra festive too. Cozy up by the fireplace with a good book, a cup of joe and one of these donuts. Enjoy the recipe!
- For the Donuts:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar ( I used Sugar 2.0)
- ½ cup NuNaturals, Organic Cocoa Dutch Process Powder
- 4 tsp. espresso powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Nutpods Peppermint Mocha
- 2 TBS butter, melted
- For the glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar( I used Swerve)
- 6 Tbsp Nutpods Peppermint Mocha
- ¼ cup crushed peppermint candy
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray two 6 capacity donut pans with a non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix well then add in eggs, coffee creamer and melted butter.
- Beat for 1-2 minutes until smooth (batter will be very thick).
- Spoon batter in a large resealable plastic bag and snip off the corner.
- Pipe into greased donut pans (filling each cavity about ½ full).
- Bake for 11-13 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool in pans 5 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool completely before adding glaze.
- To make the peppermint glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar and coffee creamer until smooth.
- Once the donuts have cooled, spread a thick layer of frosting on each donuts.
- Sprinkle some crushed peppermint candy on top.