Happy early Thanksgiving friends! By now, I’m sure you must be all but ready for your holiday festivities! I’m pretty organized since it’s just the two this year to cook for. To be quite honest, I’m already thinking about the day after and all of the big sales! If you’re planning to skip the Black Friday chaos and stay home in your comfy pj’s, cyber shop and bake(that’s what I’m doing); here’s that Gingerbread Cookie Protein Donuts recipe I promised to share with you from the blog last week.
Healthy Gingerbread Cookie Protein Donuts topped with a gingerbread glaze. These donuts are moist, fluffy, and super easy to make!
Gingerbread anything makes me think of winter and is also a great segway into Christmas flavors! Don’t get me wrong, you may still see a few random pumpkin recipes here and there(since pumpkin all year round) but I’m all about the holiday baking and comfort foods right now.
So let’s get to chatting about this recipe! To bump up the protein content a bit, I added a scoop of Quest Nutrition Vanilla protein powder. The gingerbread flavor comes from nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon. Mix the seasonings into oat flour, protein powder, molasses, and coconut sugar for a healthy yet festive holiday donut. After whipping these up, I think I’m officially addicted to all things gingerbread!
What would a donut be without a sweet glaze to go with it?
However, just because the glaze is sweet doesn’t mean its full of sugar. The glaze is simply Blindspot Ginger Bread Cookie nut butter and this Ginger Syrup from NuNaturals. Maple syrup would also make a great substitute; however; I recommend adding 1/4 teaspoon each of ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon to give it that “gingerbread” like taste.
Tell me these don’t look absolutely perfect for the holidays? Grab a cup of cocoa and enjoy the recipe!
- ½ cup oat flour
- 1 scoop Quest Nutrition Vanilla Protein Powder
- ½ TBS coconut sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp molasses
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup unsweetened cashew or almond milk
- ½ TBS Blindspot Ginger Bread Cookie nut butter(can substitute with peanut or almond butter)
- Gingerbread Glaze:
- 3 TBS Blindspot Ginger Bread nut butter
- 1 TBS NuNaturals Ginger Syrup(or maple syrup with ¼ tsp each cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg)
- Prepare the gingerbread glaze first; as this needs to thicken for about 20 minutes or so.
- In a small bowl, add the nut butter and ginger syrup.
- Mix until well combined and place in the refrigerator.(It might look a little liquidy but this will thicken in the fridge).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a donut pan with non-stick spray.
- To a medium sized bowl, add all of your ingredients and mix until well combined.
- You may need to another 1-2 tablespoons of milk if your batter appears to be too thick.
- Distribute batter evenly between all 6 donut wells.
- Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Allow the donuts to fully cool before spreading them with the glaze.
- Put in fridge for a few minutes to let the glaze set if desired.
If you try this recipe, please share it on social media by tagging me with #moorewaystowellnessrecipes!