Spring is finally here and so are all things carrot cake. In case you didn’t know, carrot cake is one of my all time favorite cakes. What happens when you want the taste of carrot cake, without the time to make an entire cake? Carrot Cake Muffins! These light yet wholesome Carrot Cake Muffins are simple to make, perfectly sweet and oh so satisfying with the bites of sweet carrot and plump raisin. With Easter just around the corner, a batch of these gluten-free muffins are sure to hit the sweet spot!
Get your carrot cake fix with this healthy and delicious Carrot Cake Muffins recipe. These muffins are the perfect spring recipe for brunch or a snack on the go!
Who doesn’t love fresh muffins right out of the oven, smelling incredible, your mouth watering and you just can’t wait to sink your teeth in them. I thought so! Although, I’ve already shared a carrot cake muffin recipe on the blog before, I decided to update things and add a new spin with this gluten free version.
One thing I absolutely love about muffins is that they’re versatile. Choose your favorite mix-ins like dried fruit, veggies, nuts, whatever your heart desires. Traditional carrot cake calls for walnuts. My recipe uses pecans, feel free to use the walnuts or omit them altogether if you prefer a nut free version.
Take a look at the key ingredients in this muffin recipe:
- Coconut oil and applesauce keep the muffins tender and moist
- Carrots, raisins and applesauce keep them naturally sweet
- Whole grain teff/oat flour blend and carrots for a healthy dose of fiber
- Coconut oil and pecans provide a boost of healthy fats and omega-3 fatty acids
Let’s talk frosting!
These muffins taste amazing plain but when you add frosting to a muffin, it almost becomes a dessert. And everyone loves dessert. I went with a salted caramel cream cheese frosting. The combination of the sweet cream cheese caramel frosting and the spiciness from the carrot cake was just delicious. I wasn’t sure the frosting was going to make it to the muffins; I wanted to eat it by the spoonful!
Have I convinced you to try these carrot cake muffins yet? Grab a bowl and make these for a quick and satisfying breakfast, snack or your next brunch. Enjoy!
Carrot Cake Muffins-the great flavor of Carrot Cake in a muffin!
- 1½ cup all purpose gluten free flour (I used Jessica's Natural Foods)
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup granulated sweetener (I used Swerve)
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup shredded carrots(squeezed of any liquid), reserve 1 tablespoon for the topping
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup chopped pecans plus 2 TBS for topping(optional)
- Salted Caramel Frosting:
- 3 ounces reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- ½ scoop Quest Nutrition Salted Caramel protein powder
- 3 TBS unsweetened cashew milk
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and sweetener, stir to combine.
- Add in applesauce, oil and vanilla.
- Stir until all dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Fold in shredded carrots, pecans and raisins.
- Grease muffin tins or line with paper liners, then fill with batter to ⅔ full.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 18 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make your frosting, combine all ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Spread over cooled muffins.
- Sprinkle with chopped pecans and carrot shreds.
For additional muffin recipe ideas and inspiration, try these: