Happy Wednesday! And yes, we’re back to some fall recipes! This week it’s all about comfort food. I have such fond memories of my mom making stuffed bell peppers for my family when I was growing up. This Jasmine Rice Stuffed Peppers recipe is a slight twist on the version that I grew up eating and loving.
I remember as a kid I used to hate eating the pepper and would only eat the meat and rice filling. It might have been because my mom only used green peppers in her recipe. To this day, I’m still not a fan of the green and always gravitate towards buying the multi-colored ones. They just have a sweeter flavor than the green which makes them so delicious.
These Jasmine Rice Stuffed Peppers are packed full of spicy, savory goodness with just a hint of cheese on top. Because cheese is just plain amazing!
In my mom’s traditional recipe, she always used ground beef and white rice. I like using the frozen organic jasmine rice from Trader Joe’s to save a little time on the meal prep and always try to buy organic, ground turkey whenever possible. Feel free to substitute ground beef if that’s your preference.
The beauty of this recipe is that can easily be prepped or even cooked ahead of time for a quick and easy weeknight meal. The leftovers(if there are any) reheat just fine the next day too! Enjoy!
- 4 multi-colored peppers, tops cut off and seeded(slice just a bit off the bottom of the pepper, this helps them stand up and not fall over in the pan)
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 TBS minced garlic
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes(optional)
- 2 cups cooked jasmine rice(can be subsituted with brown or white)
- 1½ cups crushed tomatoes
- 4 TBS mozarella cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- fresh or dried oregano for garnish(optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- In a separate large sauté pan heat 2 tsp. of extra virgin olive oil and add in onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Saute for 4 minutes or until the onions and garlic begin to look translucent.
- Add the ground turkey to the pan and season with a little more salt and pepper.
- Slowly combine the meat and the veggies and cook until the meat has browned.
- Stir in the jasmine rice and 1 cup of the crushed tomatoes, stir and simmer for ten minutes.
- Spread ½ cup of the crushed tomatoes on the bottom of a 9x11 glass baking dish and then line with the peppers.
- Scoop ½ cup-ish of filling in each pepper (or enough to fill it up).
- Top each pepper with a dollop of crushed tomatoes and a sprinkle of the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until peppers are slightly soft and heated through.
Looking for more fall comfort food ideas; try these!