As the weather dips, the leaves turn orange, and sweater weather is upon us – I decided it was an ideal opportunity to make donuts. Maple Walnut Butter Donuts in fact. Because baked goods + fall = love. And these Maple Walnut Butter Donuts taste like fall in donut form.
I love baking donuts because they’re so easy to make and taste delicious. This recipe only takes about 10 minutes to mix up, 15 minutes to bake, and then just a few minutes to cool while you whip up the maple walnut glaze. That means you can be enjoying a delicious and easy fall snack in about 30 minutes. It doesn’t get much better than that, right?
The donuts and glaze are both easy to make. No fancy mixing methods or equipment is needed. It’s all done by hand. The only thing you really need is a donut pan. This one is my favorite!
These Maple Walnut Butter Donuts start out with some of your usual dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and a little bit of salt. For the wet ingredients you’ll be using some applesauce, eggs, milk, vanilla and walnut butter. I used the Maple flavored walnut butter from Wellnut Farms which lends the perfect touch of maple-y flavor to the cake part of the donut as well as the glaze.
Let’s talk about the glaze! It’s just a simple mixture of powdered sugar, walnut butter, unsweetened cashew milk with some maple syrup mixed in. For the best flavor, I suggest using pure maple syrup in this glaze; like this one from Maple 2.0. I really love how well the glaze sets up with the maple syrup and the flavor pairs beautifully with these donuts.
The walnut butter glaze is TOO DIE FOR!
I really could eat the walnut butter glaze on these donuts by the spoonful. It is absolutely delicious. I’ve even thought about making a jar of it to add to waffles, pancakes, cookies….oh it would be good in/on pretty much anything. Enjoy the recipe!
Maple Walnut Butter Donuts
- 1 cup + 2 TBS whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 TBS unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract.
- ½ cup unsweetened almond or cashew milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ cup Wellnut Farms Maple Walnut Butter, melted
- Walnut Butter Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar( I used Swerve confectioners sugar)
- 2 TBS Wellnut Farms Maple Walnut Butter
- 1 TBS Maple 2.0 (sub with regular maple syrup)
- 1 TBS unsweetened cashew or almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Coat donut pan with cooking spray.
- Combine first five ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, applesauce, milk, vanilla and walnut butter.
- Slowly add wet ingredients to flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fill donut pan and bake for 13-15 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- For glaze, whisk together walnut butter, maple syrup, milk and sugar in a shallow bowl.
- Dip tops of doughnuts in glaze and enjoy!
- Recipe Notes:
- Donuts are best eaten the same day they are prepared, but can be stored in an airtight container on the counter for 1-2 days.
If you get a chance to try this delicious recipe, make sure to tag me on Instagram @irondiva71 or #moorewaystowellnessrecipes so that I can see your yummy creations!