Anyone else still in a baking frenzy this week! If you don’t already have enough holiday cookies to go around the block a few times (and then some) here’s one more last minute recipe for Strawberry Almond Thumbprint Cookies, perfect for your holiday dessert table or cookie tray!
With only six ingredients, these Strawberry Almond Thumbprint Cookies are one of the easiest cookie recipes you can make during the busy holiday season!
I’ve loved thumbprints ever since I was a kid. Did you ever eat those packaged cookies with the gooey strawberry filling? Slightly reminiscent of those Pepperidge Farms Verona Strawberry Cookies I loved to eat as a child, my version contain a lot less sugar and also happens to be gluten free!
This go around, I decided to stray from my classic thumbprint recipe by testing out two new products that have been hanging out in my pantry. First up is Jessica’s Natural Foods Gluten Free All Purpose Flour. The blend contains whole grain teff flour which I’ve never used before in any of my baking. The beauty of this flour is that it can be used as a 1 for 1 substitute for white flour in any recipe. Next, I swapped out the sugar and used Lite & Sweet. Lite & Sweet is a special blend of two natural sweeteners, xylitol and erythritol. It has a similar taste and texture to sugar but with 75% fewer calories.
So let’s chat about these cookies!
These little strawberry almond thumbprint cookies are really too simple to mix together. It’s a basic shortbread recipe with a little added boost of almond flavor from 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract in the batter. The texture of these beautiful little thumbprint cookies is perfect. These cookies are super soft, buttery and practically melt in your mouth! You have the option to use any flavor jam or preserves you like best! Strawberry, blueberry, mixed berry or raspberry. Strawberry happens to be my favorite and pairs so beautifully with the almond flavored dough.
These thumbprint cookies are also just so pretty, delicate and festive. They look gorgeous arranged on a plate and really make the perfect holiday cookies. Enjoy the recipe!
These Strawberry Almond Thumbprint Cookies are simply delicious and definitely need to find a place on your holiday cookie tray!
- 2 cups Jessica's Gluten Free All Purpose Flour(Can be substituted with your favorite all purpose flour)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup Life & Sweet (Can substitute with granulated sugar)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold and diced
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- ¼ cup low sugar strawberry preserves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer(using the paddle attachment,cream together butter and sugar until combined.
- You may need to stop the mixer and scrape down the sides a few times during the process.
- Mix in ½ teaspoon almond extract and slowly start to add your flour.
- Continuing mixing until the dough comes together.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and form into a small round ball.
- Flatten dough and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.(Don't skip this step)
- Once dough is chilled preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Shape dough into 1½ inch balls, and place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Make a small hole in the center of each ball, using your thumb and finger, and fill the hole with ¼ tsp of the preserves.
- Bake for 12 -15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Allow cookies to cool for about 5 minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to a wire baking rack.
- Can be stored for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Need more cookie inspiration this week? Try these: