Do you constantly find yourself skipping breakfast because you are just too busy to sit down and eat? Or you’ve replaced breakfast with your morning coffee? One of the biggest mistakes people make when trying to lose weight is to skip meals; breakfast being the most common. Skipping meals could be the very reason why you’re feeling sluggish. Studies show that skipping breakfast can also lead to overeating later in the day. How we begin the day will determine how the rest of the day goes. It will determine if we feel energized or if we are dragging due to a lack of energy. What we put into our bodies is directly related to how we physically feel.
Breakfast will give you the energy needed to focus on your day
Everyone has heard the old saying that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I’m sure you have read that “people who eat breakfast are far more likely to achieve and maintain a healthy body weight.” Eating breakfast helps with weight loss and provides that energy boost to help get your morning started right. Breakfast helps control mood swings and keeps your blood sugar controlled.
Eating breakfast is part of my daily routine each day. A balanced breakfast should include a lean protein, healthy complex carbohydrates and a healthy fat. An example of a well balanced breakfast could look like: 3 egg omelet, whole grain toast, sautéed greens and a slice of avocado.
Here are a few simple tips to keep you from ditching breakfast
- Get up 15 minutes earlier in the morning to ensure you have breakfast before heading out the door.
- Spend an hour on the weekend to do meal preparation for the week. Do everything you can to make your life easier when you are going to be busy. Egg bakes, egg muffins or oatmeal bakes are very simple to put together and can be eaten for 4-5 days. They simply can be reheated and eaten on the road or at your desk at work.
- If you’re in a hurry, a smoothie is a great choice for replacing a full breakfast. Here is a quick and easy smoothie recipe that can be blended up super quick!
Protein Breakfast Smoothie
3/4 c. unsweetened almond milk
1 c. ice
1 scoop whey protein powder
1/4 c. rolled oats
1/4 c. berries(raspberries, strawberries or blueberries)
1 tsp. ground flaxseed
Add all ingredients to a high speed blender. Blend until smooth and enjoy!
Who doesn’t love cookies for breakfast? Here is a quick and easy protein packed recipe using Stack’D Nutrition pancake mix. These cookies can be made ahead and refrigerated for a quick grab and go breakfast in the morning!
- ½ cup Stack'D Nutrition Original Buttermilk Pancake Mix(or your favorite pancake mix)
- 2 TBS unsweetened almond milk
- 3 TBS mini chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, add 2 TBS of unsweetened almond milk to ½ cup of pancake mix.
- Mix until well combined adding more liquid if needed.
- Stir in your mini chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter into 6 equal portions.
- Place your cookies onto a nonstick baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes.