I’ve been on a real lemon kick lately. As we’re making our way into spring, I’m finding myself craving that bright citrus flavor in practically everything. So when life hands you lemons this spring, don’t make lemonade. Instead, make these White Chocolate Lemon Bars! This recipe takes the classic lemon bar and it infuses it with the sweet creaminess of white chocolate. For all of my lemon and white chocolate lovers, this recipe is just for you!
Lemon bars have always been one of my favorite desserts. Obviously chocolate of any kind gets first billing, but sometimes you just need to change it up when you want something light and refreshing. That’s where these White Chocolate Lemon Bars come in. And in case you didn’t know, lemon and white chocolate is a seriously dreamy combination!
While I do love a good, classic lemon bar, these were certainly a nice change. More like a blondie in taste and texture than a traditional lemon bar, the white chocolate in the base of these balanced the tanginess of the lemon perfectly. I prefer my lemon bars a little on the tart side, but you can increase the amount of sugar if you prefer a sweeter taste. You are going to want to use fresh lemon juice, not the fake stuff that comes in the green bottle at the grocery store. It’s worth the extra effort and your taste buds will thank you!
The frosting is optional but highly recommended. And only three ingredients; cream cheese, powdered sugar and lemon juice. The tartness of the lemon juice cuts the sweetness of the frosting and is the perfect complement to the bars. You could also dust them with some confectioners sugar and they would be just as delicious. These bars taste even better the day after they are baked, as the white chocolate and lemon flavors meld together and you get even more lemon flavor in every bite. I’m confident that you are going to love these White Chocolate Lemon Bars. Bake up a batch, take a bite and enjoy!
When life hands you lemons this spring, don’t make lemonade. Instead, make these White Chocolate Lemon Bars! Super soft and tender with a white chocolate twist!
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour(I used Jessica's Natural Foods All Purpose Gluten Free flour)
- 3 Choc Zero white chocolate dipping cups, melted(Can substitute with ⅓ cup white chocolate chips)
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar(I used Swerve granulated sweetener)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 TBS lemon zest
- 3 TBS fresh lemon juice
- Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar( I used Swerve Confectioners sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a 9×9 pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add the butter and white chocolate to a medium sized glass bowl and microwave for 30 second increments, stirring between each until melted.
- Stir in the sugar or sweetener.
- Allow mixture to cool slightly before adding the eggs(or they may end up scrambling).
- Add lemon zest and lemon juice, then gently fold in the flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until the edges are a light golden color.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool.
- When ready to cut into squares, remove bars from pan by lifting parchment paper.
- Frosting Directions:
- In the bowl of stand mixer, combine softened cream cheese and lemon juice.
- Mix and slowly add in powdered sugar until smooth.
- Ice cooled bars and top with grated lemon zest or lemon slices.
- Store in the refrigerator.
For more lemon inspired recipes, try these: